Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 10

Well day 10 was full of excitement. 10 days after chemo your counts are at their lowest, so risk of infection is at it's highest. I received a blood transfusion on Saturday and Sunday. It's not uncommon to have a reaction to blood like chills and fever. Well I ran a fever on Saturday and when I started running a fever on Sunday they wanted to run more tests to make sure I didn't have an infection. The gammet of test were run and I guess everything is ok, because I haven't heard anything but I will be on IV antibiotics for the next few days. Also when I woke up yesterday morning my mouth was hurting and slowly thru the day I realized that I am getting the mouth sores that commonly come along after chemo. Day 10 is usually the worst day, so hopefully from here things will start to get better.

On my daily walks around the 7th floor I get to see who is here and I realize that I am the youngest person on the floor. There are days when every bed is full. It's sad how busy the oncology unit is. Cancer is a terrible disease and I pray that in my lifetime we will see some advances in preventing cancer so people, especially children do not have to deal with this monster.

Last night I watched Extreme Home Makeover and of course I bawled my eyes out. The team was helping a family that had a child with cancer. She was only 8 years old. She beat cancer once, and after being in remission for a while she found out her cancer was back. I relate to this little girl, even though her treatment is way more aggressive and painful than what I am going thru. She is one tough little girl. While she is going thru her treatment she finds the strength to help others with cancer by using her own money to give teddy bears to other children that are fighting the same disease. I feel pretty selfish that I don't do the same to help others. I am pretty crafty, but I have a hard time coming up with the ideas. So if anyone can help me come up with an idea I would love to start making little things that I can sell to raise money for different cancer organizations. One thing it will make me feel like I am doing something to help and also it will keep me busy.

Thanks for your help!

2 comments:

darabarner said...

Sam...you are such a trooper. I admire your strength and positive attitude. Doug mentioned that he would like to come up and visit...let me know what days are good for you : ) As always...you are in my thoughts, just hang in there chica.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,
You said you wanted to make crafty things for the cause... What about printing cute shitrs and hats like you said-It's cancer, what's your excuse? I know you started beading, So, I was thinking, you could make necklaces or bracelets. Just a thought. Stay srong and keep up that big smile!
Melissa (Bunco girl)